Monday, May 27, 2013

Painting With Vinyl On Canvas


I love using vinyl to paint with.  It is awesome to work with on an old piece of wood, but I hadn't tried it on canvas until this month.  This idea was inspired by a project one of my friends did.  I loved how hers turned out so I wanted to try something similar.

First I started off with a stained canvas.  I had originally stained this canvas to make a welcome sign for my front door, but then I make a welcome sign with a wreathe and then had just never decided what to put on this.  I thought having a little darker look to the canvas would be a fun more rustic look.  I love how it turned out, but it's hard to tell from the photo.  Without the stain it would be stark white, (also a great look, but I wanted it a bit more muted this time.)


The next step is putting the vinyl on your canvas.  When you use the "negative" of the vinyl it works like a charm for painting.  Fit the entire vinyl to your canvas for easiest results.  If you are going to use spray paint then tape the edges as well.  I just brushed the paint on this time with a sponge brush.

This is what it looked like when I got it all painted.

After I removed my vinyl I touched up a couple of places where I wanted a bit more paint and then this was my finished project!  Next time I wouldn't mind trying to stain afterwards just to see what that was like:)


No comments:

Post a Comment